Doctor of Education in Educational Leadership
The Doctor of Education program is designed for highly
qualified educational professionals who seek to further
their professional standing and formal training by embracing
the challenges of innovative, cutting-edge theories, methodologies,
research and applications.
The primary objective of the program is to produce graduates
who can contribute to the advancement of their profession
and to the expansion of knowledge and awareness of contemporary
strategic issues and practices. Through the Ed.D. curriculum
and its correlative components, participants will achieve
this objective through the development of:
- A thorough and deep-rooted knowledge of scientific and scholarly research methods and their application in the educational setting for leaders, consultants, educational affiliates and university professors
- Advanced critical thinking as well as refined conceptual and analytical skills
- A mastery of both the seminal theories and the latest practices in educational management
- The tools to perform original applied research that advances knowledge within the educational arena
- An appreciation of cultural, ethical, and global issues and their impact on evolving theories and practices
- The skills necessary for sophisticated and effective decision-making in complex environments through the integration of theoretic insights, extensive practical knowledge and innovative concept development.
At the successful conclusion of all course and course-related work, each degree
candidate will submit three original research papers (the
qualifying examination), and will put forth a formal dissertation
proposal to be approved by a Director and three other members
of the doctoral faculty (the four constituting the official
committee). The dissertation proposal, once approved, should
focus on a topic of current import and personal interest.
The dissertation should significantly impact and illuminate
strategic professional matters.
Every faculty member teaching in the University of Atlanta's
Ed.D. program must have a doctoral degree from a leading university,
a record of successful graduate teaching, a distinguished
scholarly profile and substantial practical experience. Each
brings a theoretical grounding as well as real-world expertise
to the program and a commitment to dynamic, progressive education.
The program encourages participants at every turn to accept
the added responsibility of a shared commitment to the advancement
of the profession and to the upholding of the highest ethical
standards in the private and/or public educational sectors.